Thursday, July 31, 2014

Simply Healthy: Breakfast Smoothie that Tastes like Ice Cream! (NO DAIRY!)

I am going to be honest here and admit that for years I skipped out on "the most important meal of the day." I just never liked stereotypical breakfast items, and was often rushed in the mornings to catch the bus or make it to first period on time. However, once I discovered this EXTREMELY simple and healthy smoothie (that shockingly tastes similar to ice cream), my mornings have been forever changed and my tummy has been forever grateful. 

Just a warning, these smoothies are ADDICTING and HEALTHY :)

THE BREAKDOWN: 
Prepare time: Less than 5 minutes

Ingredients: 1 Cup of Silk Original light Almond milk
 1 Frozen Banana

Calories: 150

Delicious scale: 10/10



Alright, I know what you are thinking. "How can something with so few ingredients and so few calories be a 10 on the deliciousness scale?" The answer? I have NO idea. But I do know that when you put these two ingredients together, MAGIC HAPPENS! (Haha alright, maybe I am being slightly dramatic...) But this recipe is honestly my #1 motivation to get out of bed in the mornings and it keeps me feeling full until lunchtime. It is also packed with calcium, potassium, antioxidants, and is dairy-free! YAY!! :)

Alright, let's get to it! 

Step 1 and 2: The night before your morning smoothie, cut one ripe banana into 1 inch chunks. Place chunks in a Ziploc bag and let freeze overnight. (The frozen banana is essential to this smoothie, a fresh banana will not work!) QUICK TIP: The more ripe the banana is, the sweeter your smoothie will taste!


Step 3: Measure out one cup of almond milk and pour into your blender QUICK TIP: For an extra punch of protein, try adding 1/4 C of whole almonds!

Step 4: Toss in bananas and blend away! Blend until you get a nice smooth consistency. 

Step 5: Enjoy your healthy and delicious breakfast smoothie! 

If you would rather have this smoothie as a desert (or even if you just have a morning sweet tooth,) you can use Silk dark chocolate almond milk instead of the original. It will have 60 more calories, but is still a low calorie treat that will most definitely satisfy your ice cream/chocolate craving! 

So what are you waiting for?! Go freeze some bananas! 

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do :) Let me know if you try it!

Toodles!  Jess



















No comments:

Post a Comment